Post, Texas

 post_texas

The town of Post, Texas is the county seat of Garza County and was founded by Charles William Post, known for his Post cereals and other grain products.  Post had been attracted by the relatively undeveloped area nearby and in 1906, he acquired 213,324 acres that now straddle Garza, Hockley and Lynn Counties in Texas.  Out of this, he carved out a large tract for his own Double U Ranch and laid out a model town situated in Garza County. Continue reading Post, Texas

Denison, Texas

The town of Denison, Texas (located at 33°44′59″N 96°33′27″W) in Grayson County was founded in 1872 by the Missouri, Kansas City and Texas (the Katy) Railroad as it pushed its way southward into the state.  It was named in honor of Katy Railroad Vice President George Denison.  The town no doubt owes its success to the railroad.  The Interurban also started here, eventually connecting the 70 miles to Dallas and on another 100 miles to Waco.

Continue reading Denison, Texas

Benjamin, Texas

Benjamin, Texas (coordinates 33°35′00″N 99°47′36″W) is the county seat of Knox County.  Benjamin Bedford was the son of Hilory Green Bedford (1840-1927) who founded the town in the 1880s.  Little is known about the town’s namesake Benjamin Bedford, other than the fact that he was killed by a lightning strike when he was about 19 years old in 1878.

Continue reading Benjamin, Texas

Turkey, Texas

TurkeyWaterTower

Turkey is located at 34°23′39″N 100°53′41″W in Hall County.  

Its name comes from the nearby Turkey Creek and the community was originally known as Turkey Roost because of the wild turkeys that were found on the creek.  It was thought to have been settled in the 1890s and a Methodist church congregation was established in 1892.  The current name of Turkey was first used when the first post office was set up in 1893.  The first train service arrived about 1928.  It currently houses around 500 residents.

Continue reading Turkey, Texas