The Waco Suspension Bridge

SuspensionBridge

One of the most famous landmarks in Central Texas is the Waco Suspension Bridge in McLennan County.  Waco was founded on the banks of the Brazos River just below where it is joined by the Bosque River.  For years, the only crossing nearby was Shapley Ross’ ferry that connected what is now East Waco, connecting with the road extending to Dallas, to downtown Waco at the extension of Austin Avenue to the river, connecting a main route to Marlin.  Continue reading The Waco Suspension Bridge

Lt. Truett Jay Majors

The following death notice appeared in Texas newspapers on January 14, 1942: “TRUETT J. MAJORS GREENVILLE. Jan. 13. (UP) – Lieut. Truett Jay Majors, 25, U. S. Army Air Corps, was killed in action over the Philippines, Jan. 5, his family was notified today.  He was the son of Rev. and Mrs. W. O. Majors and was believed to be the first Greenville youth to be killed in the second World War.” Continue reading Lt. Truett Jay Majors

Denison, Texas

The town of Denison, Texas (located at 33°44′59″N 96°33′27″W) in Grayson County was founded in 1872 by the Missouri, Kansas City and Texas (the Katy) Railroad as it pushed its way southward into the state.  It was named in honor of Katy Railroad Vice President George Denison.  The town no doubt owes its success to the railroad.  The Interurban also started here, eventually connecting the 70 miles to Dallas and on another 100 miles to Waco.

Continue reading Denison, Texas

Clarence Scharbauer, Sr.

Scharbauer_letterhead_small

The Scharbauer Cattle Company is well known in West Texas.  Clarence Scharbauer, Sr. was born August 18, 1879 in Albany County, New York to Christian and Jennie Scharbauer and was also the grandson of Ferdinand Scharbauer who had come to America from Holland.  Christian’s brother John had come from New York to Eastland, Texas in 1880 where he established a sheep ranch.  A few years later, John moved further west to the Abilene area and then in 1884 he moved again to Mitchell County in the general vicinity of Colorado City.  His sheep business prospered but John became interested in raising cattle, purchasing his first bulls and cows in 1888.  Encouraged by his success, by the mid to late 1890s, he had shifted his production entirely to cattle and become one of the leading cattlemen in the state.

Continue reading Clarence Scharbauer, Sr.